Feeding cattle is a skilled job
Yet feed waste has the potential to be huge.
- Cattle that are allowed to toss feed literally throw good stuff away.
- Feeding outside so rain and wind contaminates the contents of the bunker, driving tractors and machinery over feed, or wheel tracks on the feed floor, controlling feed thieves like birds and rodents, all add up to increased costs and lower profits.
- Diet feeders which are wrongly loaded, allowed to over-mix, are carelessly discharged so feed goes where it shouldn't, all add to waste.
- Trough management, and the re-presentation of feed reduces consumption.
- Silage clamp management, with a uniform mix of poor, average and good blocks, provides a consistency.
- Out-door feeding of big bale hay or silage can rack up considerable losses.